- 2 broiler-fryers, cut up (6 lbs.)
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 2 lb. ROMA Mild Italian sausages
- 2 lg. onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 red & 3 green peppers, sliced
- 3 lg. tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Wipe chicken with damp paper towel; remove excess fat. Rub chicken with part of the oil. Let stand at room temperature.
- Build a medium-hot fire or set electric or gas grills to medium-high. Use drip pans to avoid flair up.
- Grill chicken pieces 6 inches from heat turning often for 20 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Prick Italian sausages all over; grill, turning often for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large metal skillet with flameproof handle on the grill; saute onion and garlic until soft; push to one side; add pepper rings and saute 2 minutes; remove and reserve. Add tomatoes, wine, salt, basil and pepper; heat to bubbling.
- Add chicken pieces and sausages to skillet; spoon sauce over cook, stirring often, 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender when pierced with a fork. Spoon into heated platter. Top with sautéed peppers. Serves 8.