- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ROMA HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE, casings removed
- 1 pound ROMA MILD ITALIAN SAUSAGE, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups water, or as needed
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ROMA hot Italian sausage, ROMA mild Italian sausage, onion, and a pinch of salt together in the pot, breaking up sausage with a wooden spoon. Cook until sausage is browned and crumbly, and most of the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Stir ancho chile powder, paprika, cumin, ground black pepper, chipotle chile powder, and oregano into sausage mixture; saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Pour water and tomato puree into sausage mixture, bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook on a steady simmer until sausage is tender, about 45 minutes. Add water as necessary and skim any fat that floats to the top.
- Stir cannellini beans, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper into sausage mixture. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- 2 broiler-fryers, cut up (6 lbs.)
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 2 lb. ROMA Mild Italian sausages
- 2 lg. onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 red & 3 green peppers, sliced
- 3 lg. tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Wipe chicken with damp paper towel; remove excess fat. Rub chicken with part of the oil. Let stand at room temperature.
- Build a medium-hot fire or set electric or gas grills to medium-high. Use drip pans to avoid flair up.
- Grill chicken pieces 6 inches from heat turning often for 20 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Prick Italian sausages all over; grill, turning often for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large metal skillet with flameproof handle on the grill; saute onion and garlic until soft; push to one side; add pepper rings and saute 2 minutes; remove and reserve. Add tomatoes, wine, salt, basil and pepper; heat to bubbling.
- Add chicken pieces and sausages to skillet; spoon sauce over cook, stirring often, 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender when pierced with a fork. Spoon into heated platter. Top with sautéed peppers. Serves 8.