- 1 lb mild Italian Roma Sausage, casings removed
- 1 tbs olive oil (optional)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups 3/4-inch-diced peeled, seeded pumpkin
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 10 oz cavolo nero kale (aka lacinato, black, or dinosaur kale), trimmed,
- ribs removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz dried campanelle pasta
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano; more for serving
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.
In a heavy-duty 12-inch skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until mostly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Push the sausage towards the edge of the skillet and add the olive oil if the center of the pan is dry (this will depend on the amount of fat in the sausage). Add the onion and cook until golden and the sausage is well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin, wine, garlic, and marjoram and cook until the wine evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the broth and cook until the pumpkin is almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add the kale and the remaining 3/4 cup broth, cover, and cook until the pumpkin and kale are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and then drain well. Add the pasta to the skillet with enough of the pasta water to coat the pasta and vegetables generously.
- Stir in the Parmigiano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with additional Parmigiano.
- 2 broiler-fryers, cut up (6 lbs.)
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 2 lb. ROMA Mild Italian sausages
- 2 lg. onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 red & 3 green peppers, sliced
- 3 lg. tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Wipe chicken with damp paper towel; remove excess fat. Rub chicken with part of the oil. Let stand at room temperature.
- Build a medium-hot fire or set electric or gas grills to medium-high. Use drip pans to avoid flair up.
- Grill chicken pieces 6 inches from heat turning often for 20 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Prick Italian sausages all over; grill, turning often for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large metal skillet with flameproof handle on the grill; saute onion and garlic until soft; push to one side; add pepper rings and saute 2 minutes; remove and reserve. Add tomatoes, wine, salt, basil and pepper; heat to bubbling.
- Add chicken pieces and sausages to skillet; spoon sauce over cook, stirring often, 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender when pierced with a fork. Spoon into heated platter. Top with sautéed peppers. Serves 8.
Comments are closed.